How to Increase the Java Applet Memory Limit
- First, make sure that you are running the most recent version of Sun's Java (1.6),
which has memory improvemements (and security updates) over prior Java versions.
Installing Java 1.6 along may fix your out of memory errors.
How to install Java 1.6 now.
--- The following instructions assume Java 1.6 is already installed ---
- Click on 'Start'
- Click on 'Control Panel'
- Double click on the 'Java Plug-in' icon (which may be under 'Other Control Panel Options').
- Select the 'Java' tab and click on the 'View...' button, under the
'Java Applet Runtime Settings' section.
- Find the most recent 'Version' Java runtime line (below: 1.5.0_06 is more
recent than 1.5.0_05) and double click on the 'Java Runtime Parameters'
box and add "-Xmx300m"
(set Java maximum heap size to 300 MB) as you see below.
For some unknown reason, some computers with large amounts of installed memory
are limited to how much memory they can assign to their Java VM. If you experience problems,
just reduce the "300" to some smaller number (like 250, 200, 150, etc)
- Click 'OK' to exit all dialogs. Close the control panel window.
- Important: Exit ALL web browser windows.